Friday, June 8, 2012

summer fun and a new room

We kicked off summer by spending a week in VA Beach (pics to come), and now we are getting some seasonal things done around here. Liam has been talking about planting tomatoes for a month now, and I told him as soon as we were back from vacation, we could do it. Here he is watering his plants:


The large amount of dirt behind him is the bane of my existence, and my next project. My mom graciously stayed at my house while we were away and cut out all the dead bushes that were on the hill. I'm hoping to find some ground cover for the top half of it and plant grass on the lower half (I feel like all I do it plant grass and keep the kids off the seed, but I know it will be worth it!)


We got out the baby pool today and Liam had a great time playing in it! (see the dirt behind him again? More grass seed).

Avery was not interested in getting in the cold water. She carried around trucks instead.


Liam's room was another project I had wanted to figure out/complete for some time. The walls were tan and his room is in the back and therefore doesn't get as much light as the others. I felt like it looked dull no matter what I put in it. He has lived with the choice of sleeping in his bed or crib for months, since both were in there, but recently, he hasn't requested his crib at all. We decided to take his crib apart so we could use the back as a headboard (it converts to this), and it made his plain bed a little more stylish. I painted the walls a light but bright blue, moved the burnt orange curtains to his windows, and created a reading nook in the corner. It's a much brighter and younger room now, and he loves it! I'm sure I'll add some things along the way, but for now it feels complete.



 This is our favorite spot in the room, the reading nook. We used his old crib mattress, added some pillows, and I made these fun stars from a tutorial I found in a magazine. They were super easy and fast to make, and  they add a fun touch! I'm hoping to find a different crib sheet to use to change it up sometimes. 

No comments: